A dear family friend from my childhood gave this recipe to me the last time I visited her. At the time she was very ill but made the effort to entertain us and served us this delicious slice. Of course, I just had to have the recipe; it’s really easy and it’s always a hit, great served hot or cold, with vegetables or with salad. Tastiest in Summer when the zucchinis are at their best.
I used Australian standard measuring cups.
If you enjoy this recipe, please consider a donation to TWB.
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour (or plain flour + baking powder)
- 3 cups zucchini grated
- 1 cup onion finely chopped (usually one medium onion)
- 1-1 1/2 cups grated cheese (tasty or similar)
- 3 rashers bacon chopped OR
- 1 1/2 cups ham chopped
- garlic crushed, to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- fresh breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Parsley (optional)
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Place flour, zucchini, onion, cheese, bacon or ham, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Beat eggs and oil together and add to dry ingredients. Stir well.
- Sprinkle some fresh breadcrumbs on the bottom of an oven dish, then pour in mixture. Cover with topping and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until set.
- Topping: Mix together breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley. Either add oil until it becomes a paste or sprinkle the breadcrumb mix onto the slice and spray with oil.
Leave a Reply