This is a recipe that I developed myself in preparation for my appearance on a German cooking show, “Der Küchenschlacht”. I cooked it as my starter on the second of a total of five shows and it was highly praised by the judge, a famous Swiss TV chef, who even asked for the recipe on the way out of the studio! It’s a rich and warming starter that represents autumnal flavours at their very best!
If you enjoy this recipe, please consider a donation to TWB.
- 300 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 olive oil
- 1 Hokkaido pumpkin
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 sweet potato
- 100 g cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Peel and dice the sweet potato and dice the pumpkin (leaving the skin on). Boil in salted water.
- Mix the flour, salt, eggs and olive oil with 1 tablespoon of water to form a dough. Knead the dough without water until smooth and elastic and leave to rest.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan without fat. Next, place the pine nuts in a food processor with the basil, garlic and salt and gently pulse to form a smooth paste. Mix in the Parmesan and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain and mash the sweet potato and pumpkin. Mix with the cream cheese, Parmesan and honey and add cornflour starch to thicken the mixture if needed. Season with chilli powder, salt, pepper and paprika until spicy.
- Use a pasta machine to roll out the ravioli dough to the second-to-last setting. Cut into two equally-sized sheets. Use a teaspoon to place scoops of the filling on the sheet, approximately 3 cm apart.
- Lightly whisk the egg and brush it onto the dough surrounding the filling. Place the second sheet of pasta on top and push the pasta down round each portion of filling to seal. Make sure that there is no trapped air inside.
- Use a ravioli roller or cutter to cut out the ravioli.
- Heat the pumpkin seed oil in a pan and add the pumpkin seeds with a sprinkling of salt until they begin to burst.
- Boil water in a saucepan with salt. Place the ravioli in the water and cook until they float to the top.
- Drain immediately and mix with the pesto.
- Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds, serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply