A rich traditional Arabic dish, usually consumed for breakfast. It consists of cooked broad beans (fava beans) in tahini sauce. Tahini sauce can be used with other Middle Eastern dishes as well, such as Falafel.
If you enjoy this recipe, please consider a donation to TWB.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- lemon juice (I use 3 tbsp)
- cumin, sumac, and ground chili flakes as desired
- Chopped tomatoes and parsley for garnishing
- If you are using fresh broad beans, boil them in 1.5 litres of water until they are well cooked. Canned beans can be used directly.
- In a bowl, add the mashed garlic, salt, and tahini. Mix well.
- Add lemon juice, and mix well.
- Add the yogurt very gradually while mixing to form a smooth silky sauce. Note: You can replace half of the yogurt’s amount with water for a lighter version.
- Add spices and mix.
- Drain the beans and add them to the tahini sauce, and mix.
- Pour the mixture in your serving plate, and garnish with chopped tomatoes and parsley.
- Finish with a generous dash of olive oil. Bon appetit!
Best served with Arabic flat bread (pita)!
Leave a Reply