I invented this recipe about 20 years ago, one evening when not much else was in the house and I needed to make dinner, and it’s been a favourite ever since. Yes it’s simple, but some of the best recipes are. It’s vegetarian, but tastes gutsy enough to appease any hardened carnivores.
If you enjoy this recipe, please consider a donation to TWB.
- 6 large portobello mushrooms or use flat mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g blue cheese of your choice (French St. Agur, Spanish Picos Blue or Irish Cashel Blue work well)
- 70 g hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200 degrees C.
- Grease a large baking tray. Place your mushrooms, gills up, on the tray. Drizzle with the oil, season, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile grate or chop the cheese into pieces, and slice the hazelnuts, taking care not to slice your fingers too. Sprinkle the cheese over the mushrooms, and top with the hazelnuts.
- Bake for another 10 - 15 minutes until they are browned.
- Serve with some warm crusty bread to mop up the juices, and a salad. Delicious!
Leave a Reply